Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everthing that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. Hebrews 12:1-2

Sunday, September 18, 2011

The pain of changing is less.......

So here I am at 3 months since I decided to start this incredible lifestyle change.  I had my 3 month weigh in on Thursday and have lost 41 lbs.  Words cannot express what I felt at the deepest parts of my being when I saw that number on the scale.  Now, I know that I should not place such a high value on a number on a computer screen, but each one of those lost lbs has been accompanied by hours in the gym and a completely new way of eating.  The height of this emotional win lasted all of about 18 hours.  About 3pm on Friday afternoon, I had this realization.  My first goal weight of 350 lbs is roughly the same as what I weighed in High School!  Now, the one thing that I have not shared with you is that I have known for a long time that I needed to make this decision.  I knew that I needed to make this decision when I started running on Thanksgiving break during my 8th grade year of Middle School--300 lbs.  I knew that I needed to make this decision when I was working out during gym class my Freshman year in High School--320 lbs.  I knew I needed to make this decision when I started working out my senior year at Auburn--383 lbs.  I knew that I needed to make this decision every single time I moved to a new apartment complex and specifically searched out complexes with nice fitness centers--400+ lbs .  I knew that I needed to make this decision when I bought my first bike while I was living in Nashville--460 lbs.  If you follow the trend, you will see that I have gained 105 lbs since I graduated from Auburn on May 15, 2005!  At this point,
I got so mad at myself that I got sick at my stomach.  You see, the feelings of knowing what I should do but yet feeling so sorry for myself that I did nothing about it was sickening to me.  After diving in to this a little more, I realized that this could be the missing piece of the puzzle.  The pain of changing had become less than the pain of staying the same.  Life as I had been living it up until June 17th of 2011 was not worth living......and I was slowly committing suicide one bite at a time.  I have been working out, changing my diet, seeing results, and now the missing piece of the puzzle......a hatred of my current state.   Now, the decision has to be what I have decided to do with that hatred....it can either paralyze me or I can use it as the fuel to keep going.  I am making the decision to use it as fuel!  Yesterday, I pulled my Specialized Tricross Sport out of the office and took it in for a service.  I plan on beginning to ride again.  I also ordered a pair of shoes to stop the blisters on the bottoms of my feet.  All of this pain in gym has been and will continue to be worth it!!

1 comment:

  1. I am so proud of you Brandon. You've taken the first step into losing the weight by publicly admitting that there is a problem and you want to fix it. I know you will do well!! Just remember to pray each day for your health and God will walk with you each day and guide you in the right direction. Any addiction is hard to break when you've been doing it for so long. So I commend you for having such a strong head on your shoulder to chose the healthy lifestyle. And I'm happy you've decided to get your some new shoes. Hope you have a great week!!

    ReplyDelete